1. Click on the link to your Staging site.
2. Login to the back end of the Staging site. NOTE: The user name and password is the same as your Live site. On the left-hand site, click on Updates.
3. If your WordPress need to be updated it will notify you here. Click on the blue Update Now button. NOTE: Always update the version of WordPress first.
4. Once complete, this screen will appear. Your WordPress is now up to date.
5. Click on Dashboard and Updates again.
6. These are the Plugins that need to be updated. NOTE: Always click on these individually. Click on the first plugin and click the Update Plugins button.
7. Once complete you will see this page. NOTE: View your Staging site, click on several pages to make sure nothing has changed.
8. Click on the link Return to WordPress Updates. Click on the next plugin and click the Update Plugin button. NOTE: Check the Staging site after each update by refreshing your browser and clicking on several pages. Click the link Return to WordPress Updates after each update.
PLEASE NOTE: Some plugins may require further action on your part.
For example, if Contact Form 7 is updated, you will need to fill out the form on the Staging site and see if it works.
For example, if Revolution Slider is updated, you will need to make sure the photos are sliding correctly and the link to more information is working correctly.
9. You may also have to update WordPress Themes. Starting with the bottom theme, click on each one individually and then click Update Themes. NOTE: As with Plugins, you need to check the Staging site after each update by clicking on several pages to make sure nothing has changed.